I generally avoid public goal setting, but since I’ve got high hopes for what’s ahead of me in 2016, I’m going on the record with them now.
- Like many unpublished authors, my biggest goal is to find an agent this year. My current MG WIP should be ready to go out to my critique partners within the next week. I’d like to add another 2-3 CPs in the next month, concurrent with entering it in online contests and then querying by the end of March. This goal might be over-aggressive, but for me, setting less aggressive goals usually leads to things stretching out even longer.
- I’ve decided to do a complete rewrite of my other completed manuscript, The Destiny Matrix. Originally written as a Young Adult novel, I’m reworking it for Middle Grade readers. I think this is necessary to remain true to the story as I originally envisioned it. The story’s main character and plot are important to me, and I’m excited for an opportunity for a “do over” where I can apply what I’ve learned so far about writing, voice, and plot. I hope to make a lot of progress on this while querying my current WIP, with the aim of completing the rewrite by the end of June.
- I’d also like to complete my third novel by the end of 2016. I have several ideas that I’m enthusiastic about, but haven’t made a decision yet about which one to pursue. Getting an agent could have a big impact on the idea I end up choosing.
- I’ve had a Goodreads account for several years that I haven’t been using much. This year, I want to use Goodreads to track the books I read, and to network with other readers. I’ve set a goal there to read 50 books this year, which I don’t think will be a problem. I may have set the bar a little low if I’m able to count graphic novels toward that goal.
- In 2015 I made an effort to incorporate more diversity in my reading – specifically to read more books by female authors and by people of color, and to read more books with diverse characters. While this wasn’t a measurable goal, I did achieve it. I aim to continue this effort into 2016.
- With all the time I spent in 2015 revising and editing The Destiny Matrix, I put my blog on the back burner. Most of my blog visitors came as a result of online contests or blog hop critiques, and I barely posted from July through November. I hope to remedy this by writing more regular posts about the books I’m reading. Increasing my activity on Goodreads should tie into this nicely. I’ll continue looking for other topics to blog about as well, but the “What I’m Reading” posts should give me a continuing source of material to share.
What are your goals for 2016? Please post them in the comments in you’d like to share them.