I completed my first editing pass today on my middle grade time travel adventure. After adding a couple of scenes at the start of the book, my word count had expanded to nearly 80k – my goal is to get the final count in the 65-70k range. During this pass, I reduced it to 71,000 words. Not bad, but I’ve still got some work to do.

This week, I’m going to do a focused secondary pass on four to five scenes where I think I can makes some changes that will cut a few thousand more words. The ideas for the changes came to me during the round of edits I just completed, but I didn’t want to lose momentum by stopping to address the changes at that point.

Once I complete the mini-round of edits, I plan on going through the Story Grid process again to see the effect of the changes I’ve made on the overall work.

You can find my prior posts on editing this book here, and here.

 

 

Advertisements